Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The "CHERPUMPLE"

About a year ago I stumbled upon an article about a hybrid dessert that brings together even the most devote Pie or Cake Lovers.  The "Cherpumple" or "Piecaken"  is a crazy combination of, you guessed it, pie and cake- but of course this cant just be one layer- oh no- it must be three different layers of pie and cake to be a true "Cherpumple".  Traditionally (if you can even use this word to describe it) this dessert consists of  cherry pie in chocolate cake, pumpkin pie in spice cake, and apple pie in vanilla cake all coated in a heavy layer of vanilla frosting!  This is the true "TURDUCKEN" of the dessert world!

Of course this challenge is one I could not pass up!  Found the recipe, bought the ingredients and set my oven to bake! The process seems relatively easy- until the step of actually putting the pie into the cake.  You bake the pies (simple enough), then you are suppose to remove them from their pans without breaking them- mission failed.  So to avoid any further issues, I took the easy road and just flipped them over upside down into the cake pans- it seemed to all work pretty well.  And note- if you add too much cake batter make sure to bake with a sheet pan under your cake pans- the batter may spill over the edge!  With the pies baked into the cake- then came the art of stacking.  I do not pride myself on my cake building or decorating technique so these next two steps were nail biters.  Cakes all stacked I placed them in the fridge and went to sleep. I thought for sure I would see a crumbled pie/cake mess when I awoke in the morning to frost this beast.  To my surprise- the cake layers were still intact and I proceeded to frost.. and frost.. and frost some more. The end result was a mile high marshmallow looking dessert that is one big conversation starter. 

I made this for a holiday party at work- it was the gift that just kept giving!  Pie lovers and Cake lovers alike loved the sweet and salty, and unexpected delight they received from this dessert.  I can't even begin to explain the look I got when explaining this to people- make one and you'll know what I'm talking about.  But it was a hit!  Managed to slice some very presentable pieces for a while until I cut through about 2/3 of it, then- TIMBER- I lost the top half of this dessert!  But it was pretty while it lasted- and still tasted delicious!

If you ever want a fun challenge, and an attention grabber- bake this treat up!  See the link for photos of other Cherpumples, the recipe and a how to video!

Enjoy!

Charles Phoenix- Cherpumple



No comments:

Post a Comment