Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Happy Father's Day!



 

Happy Father's Day to a "whopping" good dad!
 
My baking skills come from my mother- along with of my other talents.  But luckily I am a great blend of both my parents- and I received a lot of wonderful characteristics from my dad also.  My dad is an amazing person- supportive, loving, talented, and just all around awesome.  Him and my mother together are a dynamic duo that I love more than anything.  One thing my dad and I share is our love of chocolate- and one of his all time favorite candies are chocolate malt balls.. aka.. WHOPPERS!  These lil balls of chocolatey goodness were the main attraction for my dad's Father's Day dessert and this was one heck of a cake.  I used a receive from The Country Cook but changed it up a little to make it look like a picture I had seen on Pintrest.  I think either way you bake it, stack it, and decorate it, it is going to be a delicious cake.  I follow the cake recipe per the Country Cook's directions but make it into 2- 9 inch rounds and used what should have been the topping (whipped cream mixed with the malted chocolate milk powder) to make a creamy layer between the two cakes.  Then I took your good ol' chocolate frosting and mixed some of the malted chocolate milk powered in that and covered the cake with that mixture.  Before the frosting had time to get too warm (it's summer here and my house was a tad warm) or too firm I placed the malt balls all over the top of the cake and then started stacking them on the sides.  I immediately placed the cake in the fridge so the malt balls would stay in place and they did. And all that made for one happy dad!  He loved it, the family loved it and it's a definite repeat with our group!
 
Happy Father's Day to my dad and all the dads out there!  Enjoy!
 
 
Whopper Cake

Ingredients:
1 box Milk Chocolate Cake Mix
1 1/2 cups chocolate malted milk powder, divided
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tub (8 oz.) whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
1 cup Whoppers malted milk balls

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees
Spray 13x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour
In a medium bowl, combine cake mix with 3/4 cups malted milk powder.
Add in eggs, oil and water and stir until combined.
Pour batter in baking pan.
Bake for about 38-40 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean)
Allow cake to cool completely before making topping.

For the topping
In a medium bowl, combine whipped topping with 3/4 cup malted milk powder.
Stir until completely incorporated and no longer grainy.
Spread topping on top of cooled cake.
Put one cup of malted milk balls into a ziploc bag and zip it up.
Pound with a rolling pin (or other hard object) to crush Whoppers.

Sprinkle finished cake with crushed malted milk balls.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment